Sunday, June 1, 2008

Being Feather

It's pretty obvious that all my characters, at least the active ones, have "feather" in their name. It started out innocent enough, I rolled a night elf hunter as my very first character, and the combination of feather (for the tribal feel) and wisp (wisp instead of ghost) just really worked for me. As I drifted from beta, to open beta to live I kept the name, but allowed my alts to have whatever name suited them, there was no pattern to speak of.

Along came guild leadership, and the need to be easily identifiable by my guild members. I was still Featherwisp (newly created warrior, just for the GL job) and had collected Feathermyst along the way, but still a few of my alts continued to be independent in their choice of names. I tried the "this is my alt, remember the name, know it's me" approach, but I found myself having to remind people who I was on those alts. Or people would say they couldn't find me. After a while, a second problem emerged. I got used to being called Feather. Yes, I remember what my own name is, but in game, I'd be on a non-feather character in a group, and someone would refer to me by that name. That just seemed odd, I'd have those "oh! he's talking to me" moments, which can be problematic when I'm supposed to be sheeping or something. Now, add in my little alt uh..."habit" and imagine the chaos.

So, I gave in. I've resigned myself to the fact that I must be feather, both for my own sanity, and the sanity of others. I certainly wouldn't want to have to keep track of nine different alt names just because my guild leader is an altaholic!

Good thing I picked something nice sounding like Feather...

1 comment:

Winter said...

Of course then there's the few times I've accidentally called you "Feather" to my mom...

Loving the new blog!