Friday, June 27, 2008

Security Measures

The realm of Bloggerdom is a-buzz with Blizzard's announcement of it's new (optional) security feature. The Blizzard Authenticator will add an extra layer to WoW account security by providing a device, sync'd with your wow account, that generates a 6-digit key that must be entered with your username and password on login.

I'm actually excited about this, because as a guild leader, having my account hacked is a constant worry for me. I know it's a nightmare for anyone, but someone with access to my account would have access to all the guild controls. Now, I don't have much by way of exciting items or that much gold, so my account isn't a high risk target, however if hackers are willing to delete characters for no apparent reason, what would stop them from disbanding my guild?

I found it interesting that this device can be linked with several accounts. I can't even begin to figure out how that works, but this means people with multiple accounts in the household could just buy one device, saving a bit of cash, but securing all accounts.

At this point, I'm leaning heavily towards buying this device, even with the added annoyance of yet another thing I have to enter at login. A little peace of mind is worth typing 6 extra digits every day.

Sources: Blizzard, Official Announcement

No comments: